All Lapidary Workshops and Classes are under the following COVID-19 restrictions:
• Must have a reservation.
• Masks required.
• Limited to 5 people in the shop, including shop supervisor.
• Lapidary only! No other faceting or silversmithing work!
Learn to cut and polish stone into a beautiful gem suitable for wire wrapping or setting in a fabricated or pre-made metal mounting. These workshop sessions are also suitable for continuation of working on your own to perfect your skills at cabochon cutting and carving.
A wide assortment of material suitable for cutting is available for purchase on site.
A brief procedure for cutting a cabochon may be found here by downloading our PDF: How-to-Cut-a-Cab.
Weekly lapidary cabochon workshops are as follows:
Monday 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Tuesday 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Wednesday 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Thursday 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Cost: $7 shop fee. Club membership required.
To Reserve your spot: email PalomarOpenWorkshop@gmail.com and indicate which session you wish to attend.
Introduction to Fancy Cabochons Class
This class is for students who are already comfortable cutting cabochons without assistance. Students will learn how to use carving burs/bits with a flexshaft or micromotor (Foredom or Dremel-type tool) to create fancy-shaped cabochons (e.g. sharp inner curves or angles such as hearts, flames, iron crosses, cut-outs for tube settings, etc.).
No equipment required.
Instructor: Kari Raley
• $85 for new students, includes a small kit of sintered diamond burs and Nova diamond burs students get to keep.
• $20 for returning students; return students welcome with their own burs, slabs/preforms, and can bring their own motor or use one already at the shop.
Materials: First time students will learn on a pre-selected preform.
Dates & times: Third Wednesday of the month from 6:00 – 9:00 pm
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required.
• No other lapidary, faceting, or silversmithing work!
• Limited to FOUR Students.
To Reserve your spot: email PalomarOpenWorkshop@gmail.com by the 15th of the month, so enough carving kits can be ordered in time for class.
Example: if you wish to attend the November class, reserve your spot by email no later than October 15th.
Our Club workshop is located at 2120 W Mission Rd, Unit 260, Escondido, CA 92029